Friday, January 9, 2009

Is It a Full Moon?

I have a number of other posts that I want to add, but today trumps them all! A strange, frustrating day. Asher woke up at about 5:00 a.m. in my bed with, "Mom, my ear hurts," which generally is a sign that he has an ear infection. But since it was hours before the doctor's office opens, I tried to make him comfortable with drops (Asher asked me if I was a doctor when he saw the medicine case - sweet) and my warming pillow (one of the favorite things I own! A pillow filled with corn that my Aunt Adel gave me years ago - warms in the microwave), which was only semi-successful. While lying in bed, trying to sleep between Asher's discomfort and discussion about why he has an ear infection, I mentally tried to figure out how to manage the 4 meetings for the day (of course, all in one day when I rarely have meetings becaues I believe in Murphy's Law).

After having to switch everyone and everything to the Volvo (which has no heat) to the Audi (which had no electricity this morning because the damn fancy car doesn't turn its own lights off or tell you their left on), we dropped Harper off at daycare, which was hard because her brother wasn't there, and headed to my office, where it took me three tries to print a grant report due Monday (why? Because the lame ass computer tech guy who came in as a nice volunteer and became paid tech support ran off with 8 new laptops, 2 desktops, a variety of computer equipment last week without completing his job. Moral of the story? Always do a background check! And criminals don't introduce themselves as criminals) when come to find out I don't have two key pieces of information for the grant report. I did what I could to get something out . . . while entertaining Asher and telling him at least 10 times that we could read the new giant dinosaur book that appeared in our office later that afternoon (it's a REALLY cool dinosaur book!) and Asher running through approximately 43 flag post-its so he could flag all the dinosaurs he wanted to show me (took him 5 mintues). I left the office trailing a co-worker telling me she had one of the key pieces for me - I tried not to look too annoyed while assuring her that her program "wouldn't be in trouble," as she put it (insert lots of cuss words).

Got through Asher's doctor's appointment with a sub-doctor I wasn't too keen on (did learn Asher wants to see a woman doctor - funny kid) and his prescription (he only used the blood pressure machine in the pharmacy for about 10 minutes and figured out how to get both hands stuck in it at the same time - that was entertaining for both of us). At the doctor's office, I remembered that I had a Jamba Juice gift card and promised Asher a smoothy (look at me! What a fun mom!). So, we ran across town to Lowe's, which is near Jamba, to get a copy of a house key made. Took f-o-r-e-v-e-r - as in, does anyone work here anymore since the recession-we-shall-not-name? We ran over to Jamba and it was closed. Um, yeah. Closest location is in Boulder. After much crying and gnashing of teeth, we ran back across town to the other smoothy place and succeeded in getting a smoothy. We spent a few hours at home watching cartoons, playing , getting some work done, spending time together, venting to Ardis and recovering from a morning of 2 steps forward, 10 steps backward.

Soon before we left to get Harper, I decided to try to get the Audi started. I downloaded eHow instructions on how to jump a car (there's a nice video of it) because I'd never done it myself and was a wee bit paranoid about killing myself. After 20 minutes of running the booster car, the Audi was no more alive. I went to take the cables off the batteries and the grounded negative end sparked, the Audi blinked some lights, and then . . . miracles! it started! Although, not without its say in the matter, deciding the hazards would not turn off and the alarm would go off randomly, so I drove it to daycare that way (finding that I could keep one blinker on and the hazards went off). I felt quite hilarious and thankful for the dark tinted windows. Getting home, the alarm and hazards would NOT stop, so I ran through the stupid, complicated fuse box until I pulled out one that took care of that (with Harper climbing around me and so prettily blocking the light). Ta da!

What a day! And yet, miracles all around - that I parked the Audi in such a way that I could jump it from the Volvo; that the Audi actually started; that I had both cars at the house so I could switch between them; that one of my meetings got rescheduled; and that I got to spend a day with my boy who much needed mom time . . . sigh. It's almost a full moon.

4 comments:

M said...

Oh sweet pea! What a hard day! I hope Asher is feeling better and that you were able to get that &^@#&^&(* grant done!

You and your family are always in my prayers.

Nammy said...

Isn't this the 2nd time you have had computer equipment stolen? How ofter do you need tech support? If once a month, maybe you could hire me as a consultant. Some $$ and airfare would be all I would need. And I promise, I will not steal anything (unless it is Asher or Harper for a day!

Lori said...

Oh, Alexa...I've had days like that. One of mine involved Josie taking a crap in our neighbor's backyard, in the grass. Humiliating. About 20 horrible things preceded the dump and it ended with the dogs stealing grilled chicken off the counter so that we had to resort to cheerios for dinner. Fortunately, the other details have long ago turned blurry. Thanks for having a good enough sense of humor and ability to recognize that we all appreciate the re-telling!! Parenthood provides many lessons in remaining humble. I hope Michael will be home soon!

Alexa said...

Lori - Aunt Marilyn shared the story of that day with me. Hilarious on the other side of it! The things kids do . . . I am amazed by such days that so many things can get piled into one day. They do make for good stories!