Over the last two nights, I've had a hard time sleeping because my mind has been racing with presidential election and political thoughts. Last night, I was stuck on some internal argument about the Iraq war and diplomacy and what it means to serve one's country and democracy. It was quite interesting but a bit irritating at 11:00 p.m. I have said this before, and I will say it again, I am so excited to be living during this time in our history - to witness such an historical election during a time of some turmoil and situations that call for change. Though the two sides argue about who can really change things in this country, it's interesting that both sides see the need.I was reminded again today about another aspect of the greatness of our country - that we can peacefully discuss differing viewpoints across the right-left spectrum and peacefully approach an election - but about our capacity for change. Driving in Boulder this morning, I navigated around bicyclists and a bus, and on the way back to Longmont, navigated around more bicyclists - more than I've ever seen either in Boulder or on Highway 119 in the almost four years I've lived here. We have some big lemons and here are all these people making big pitchers of lemonade. I love it!
I love to think about and realize the unintended consequences of new political policies and cultural changes and am excited to see the unintended consequences of the gas crisis. Already, we are driving less, exercising more out of necessity, pushing for greener energy and more fuel efficient cars. What else? Bring it on!
2 comments:
Oh, I agree! This is such an exciting time. Speaking of Boulder, John and I are always devising ways to move there or back to the mountains! We love that town and the people. Boulder radiates activism and concern for the world we live in! Its a great place, full of life and adventure!
Yea, Alexa! You are a storm of fresh wind!
Post a Comment