Friday, August 8, 2008

I Also Heart Parades

This week is the annual Boulder County Fair, held at the Boulder County Fairgrounds in my fair city. I took the kids on Wednesday to "Kids Day," which was an interesting and quite lackluster day that may have even disappointed the kids, especially because we had to walk by all the fair rides which wouldn't run until 4:00 (you'd think they might have just a few running during the day on "Kids Day," of all days - sheesh!) and all the closed concession stands. At least I wore closed toed shoes.

We saw some large pigs and quite an array of goats being taken care of by 4-H kids. Asher and Harper gave the animals but a sideways look. Asher shrieked at the idea of face painting. They did enjoy climbing on and destroying some hay bails set up in one of the exhibit halls (an activity which was quickly outlawed by someone who looked semi-in-charge, at least he had a big broom), climbing through a string maze (I was amazed how much they enjoyed this), jumping in a bouncy castle, overseen by a woman who looked and acted like she was missing a few screws (I tried to "donate" - i.e. forcibly pay - for the bounce time, but she dismissed the donation because she didn't have change for a $20), and seeing some of the projects done by other 4-H kids (those kids are busy!), which they attempted to destroy in various ways.

As sad as the kids day was, I was even more sad to find out last Sunday that I had missed the Boulder County Fair parade on Main Street because I absolutely heart parades. I love every parade from the small, local Christmas parade to the big NYC Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade!! I mean, I really love them. I love the kitschy-ness, the homemade floats, the big balloons, the people waving, everyone lining up on the streets to watch other people go by, the parade princesses, the horses, the marching bands, the stuff people in the parade throw. I just love the absolute silliness of it all. I love to go to them (been to the Rose Bowl Parde and NYC Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade), to watch them on TV (and to watch one parade on several cable channels - oh, yeah). Some day, I dream of actually being in a parade. Now that I think of it, that could be good PR for the non-profit I work for.

2 comments:

M said...

If I were in control, I would make you the Grand Marshal. You could sit in any cool car of your choice and wave and wave. Of course you would only throw the "good candy" (chocolate) and all the children would love you and want to be you. Oh, and you'd get to hold a bouquet of red poppies.

Yeah, as soon as I own my own town - you will be the star of our parade! :)

Anonymous said...

You come by it naturally :-) I love parades, too--I even "learned" to be a percussionist in junior high so I could be a majorette (you had to play an instrument, and piano isn't a marching band instrument), and, yes, I got to march in a couple of parades--there I am on the old 8mm films, marching pigeon-toed, home-made red pompoms bouncing on my highstepping white boots. My dream was to be the head majorette in high school...alas, when I transferred to Sewickley, no marching band, though I don't recall missing football in the least. Your Grandma Harper absolutely adores parades!!